The last BBQ/Gin-Margarita get together of the season. Although all our kids have been back a week Labour Day marks the end of school holidays. Fall is definitely creeping up on us, but we still managed drinks on the patio. All the kids played outside (even though it was spitting at one point). Good company, good conversation, & sadly goodbye to another summer. I can’t believe we were all making plans for our skiing trip at Spring Break! Where does the time go? I’m still hemming pants, hopefully they will all be done before they break up in May!
We spent the afternoon at the beach (on the grassy area of course), barbequing with good friends & saying goodbye to the outgoing aneaesthetic fellow. She is flying back to the UK tonight with her two boys who are the same age as our two & have become quite friendly. They ended up in the sea & absolutely filthy afterwards, so good luck to her spending all night on a plane with them! Even the dog came along & stressed about the number in her pack. It has been good distraction for me otherwise I think I would have been dwelling on tomorrow. I also made sure I ate as much as possible & still came home & scoffed a large ice cream – I could potentially not eat at all tomorrow so I needed to stock up. Ideally I now need to chill out with a glass of wine & a movie but I’m supposed to be dry, which is the sensible thing to do. Instead we might still do the movie but first we must book the flights & car hire for next years family vacation – crazy I know but everything is getting booked up already.
I maybe a bit quiet for the next day or too, but watch this space to find out what the surgeon finally does to hopefully make my knee better…
Clear blue sky, 25 degrees =
Deposit children at school for their drumming summer camp.
Walk dog in cool forest for 45 minutes (leasing her to do the slight hill at the end because it would take 1hour 45minutes if I didn’t).
Rehydrate self & dog on return home before slapping on sunscreen & bikini top to maximize tanning opportunity.
Do stretching routine while sunscreen soaks in.
Set up ironing board on the patio (I only iron twice a year & usually in summer).
Proceed to iron while slowing baking.
Exhausted now – protein smoothie for lunch while soaking up more rays reading book.
Freshen up before physio appointment & head to the torture chamber.
Proceed to pick up the drummers before preparing a BBQ dinner.
Eat al fresco.
Repeat again tomorrow – minus the ironing!
Have I mentioned that I LOVE summer?
We are all home safely after a great week of family time & believe it or not, relaxation. Although the mountain weather was fairly typical we still managed to…
- Kayak, both boys going solo for the first time & doing amazingly well.
- The boys swam in the lake.
- The dog was in heaven at all the new aroma’s that the forest had to offer, we walked her in there most days.
- I was really good about stretching most days, even took my yoga mat down to the dock & did pilates in the sunshine.
- Played ‘Whiffle ball’, a crazy golf kind of set up that one of the locals has made in the forest. 19 holes of fun that anyone can have a go at, there were golf clubs of all sizes with whiffle balls, & gnomes watching over you as you lose your balls. A neighbor in a cabin 2 doors down told us about it last September just as we were about to leave so it was high on the list of things to find this time. What was really great about it was the boys could take them selves off to play without us, it’s completely free & nobody else was seen using it.
- We barbequed most nights while drinking Mason jar G&T’s.
- After dinner we all played a board game, the kids thrashing us at Harry Potter trivial pursuit!
- Hubby & I then read, did grown up colouring or I scrapbooked while enjoying peace & quite with a glass of something.
- We had lazy sleep-ins, even the dog wouldn’t move some mornings until I got up.
- The cats came too. I don’t think Salt moved off the top bunk all week, she just slept & watched the birds. Pepper, who is much more sociable hung out with us in front of the fire.
- We saw some wildlife, a young grizzly bear on the driving range in the local village. A few dear, & discovered a Marmot lives under the front deck. He used to tease the cats & the dog by sitting on the deck outside the glass front door.
- We even made ice cream with younger child’s ice cream ball that older child bought him for his birthday – & it was delicious. Basically you put the ingredients in one side, ice & salt in the other & roll it around the floor for twenty minutes, au voila… ice cream!
It didn’t matter that it wasn’t blazing sunshine every day like it was a couple of years ago when we were there. It was quality family time & a lot of fun for everyone, I think even the cats were happy to be cozied up with us in a quarter of the space they are normally used to. It was the kind of family vacation that you can’t put a price on, & will be one to remember in many years time – the one where I got the name of the contestant in the tri-wizard contest from the Goblet of Fire mixed up & called him Seamus Diggory instead of Cedric. They all thought this was hilarious, you will too if you have read Harry Potter & know who Seamus is.
… And we are STILL on vacation for the rest of the week with more adventures to come.
Late post again.
Another BBQ, with more of our lovely friends. Kids are going to be disgusting tomorrow – & probably the next day, but hey, it’s summer & we all had fun with our friends. Can you you tell I’m in holiday mode already?
That is all…
Crazy day getting the house in order for hubby’s work event that we are hosting. The kids & the dog are having a cheeky sleepover at Java’s house. The caterer’s are doing their thing setting up. Hubby is holding board meeting. The sun has decided to show up for the evening, & I’m on the wine before 50 people descend on us!
Who says you can’t enjoy a BBQ with good company, cheesecake & our very own G&T barman!!
(Even non gin drinkers were downing those Mason jars)
I Love summer!
An early birthday party… a stroll around the False Creak seawall… iChatting with the grandparents… resting my poor painful knee… BBQ dinner (again)… folded a monster pile of laundry… organized the boys for their last week at school (JOY!)… A soak in the bath… An even bigger soak in a rather good new gin we have discovered, while maybe watching a movie.
I think I’m also ready for the summer break, this week is shaping up to be mental!
(Lame posting – sorry but I’m pooped 🙂
Just because the sun isn’t shining doesn’t mean we can’t have friends over, BBQ, sit outside & drink wine!
I love summer!