We are all home safely after a great week of family time & believe it or not, relaxation. Although the mountain weather was fairly typical we still managed to…
- Kayak, both boys going solo for the first time & doing amazingly well.
- The boys swam in the lake.
- The dog was in heaven at all the new aroma’s that the forest had to offer, we walked her in there most days.
- I was really good about stretching most days, even took my yoga mat down to the dock & did pilates in the sunshine.
- Played ‘Whiffle ball’, a crazy golf kind of set up that one of the locals has made in the forest. 19 holes of fun that anyone can have a go at, there were golf clubs of all sizes with whiffle balls, & gnomes watching over you as you lose your balls. A neighbor in a cabin 2 doors down told us about it last September just as we were about to leave so it was high on the list of things to find this time. What was really great about it was the boys could take them selves off to play without us, it’s completely free & nobody else was seen using it.
- We barbequed most nights while drinking Mason jar G&T’s.
- After dinner we all played a board game, the kids thrashing us at Harry Potter trivial pursuit!
- Hubby & I then read, did grown up colouring or I scrapbooked while enjoying peace & quite with a glass of something.
- We had lazy sleep-ins, even the dog wouldn’t move some mornings until I got up.
- The cats came too. I don’t think Salt moved off the top bunk all week, she just slept & watched the birds. Pepper, who is much more sociable hung out with us in front of the fire.
- We saw some wildlife, a young grizzly bear on the driving range in the local village. A few dear, & discovered a Marmot lives under the front deck. He used to tease the cats & the dog by sitting on the deck outside the glass front door.
- We even made ice cream with younger child’s ice cream ball that older child bought him for his birthday – & it was delicious. Basically you put the ingredients in one side, ice & salt in the other & roll it around the floor for twenty minutes, au voila… ice cream!
It didn’t matter that it wasn’t blazing sunshine every day like it was a couple of years ago when we were there. It was quality family time & a lot of fun for everyone, I think even the cats were happy to be cozied up with us in a quarter of the space they are normally used to. It was the kind of family vacation that you can’t put a price on, & will be one to remember in many years time – the one where I got the name of the contestant in the tri-wizard contest from the Goblet of Fire mixed up & called him Seamus Diggory instead of Cedric. They all thought this was hilarious, you will too if you have read Harry Potter & know who Seamus is.
… And we are STILL on vacation for the rest of the week with more adventures to come.